Home Quilts Recipes Words Books Email

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Chocolate Cake to die for..

Not being able to sit still today, for some reason unknown to me, I ended up in the kitchen.. where Chocolate , usually not in my diet because I am not a fan of sweets OR chocolate usally, I ended up making from scratch, this German Chocolate Sour Cream Cake with Coconut Pecan Icing.. I dont know who will eat it, because .. I am not a fan of sweets.. Give me a chunk of hot sour dough bread fresh out of my oven with softned margarine ( notice I said margarine, and not real butter? I am on a diet, hehe ) and I am automatically put into food coma of delishiousness.
Anyway, here is the recipe for the sinfully delish, German Chocolate Cake.. I am part German, so it is my nature to create German delicasies.. NOT...

German Chocolate Cake with Coconut and Pecan Frosting

For the cake:

2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of butter (softened)
1 cup of sour cream
4 large eggs
4 ounces of sweet baking chocolate (melted)
1/2 cup of milk
3/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract

For the topping

3/4 cup of evaporated milk
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup coconut (flaked)
1 cup pecans (chopped)

Instructions

To make the cake

First take a large bowl and combine the flour, sugar, salt, butter, baking soda, sour cream, milk, chocolate and vanilla in it.
Then beat the ingredients with a mixer until blended.
Now increase the mixer to high and beat for about 2 minutes longer.
Once that is done, use a spoon to put the batter into the 8-inch prepared pans.
Bake this in an oven that has been preheated to 350° for about 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Leave the cake out to become cold.

To make the topping

Take a saucepan with evaporated milk, brown sugar, and butter and place it over a medium flame.
When it comes to a boil, remove it from the heat.
Then put in the pecans and coconut.
Now set this mixture aside to cool at room temperature.

Once the cake is cool, place one layer on a cake platter and spoon half of the coconut mixture onto the layer. Use the remaining topping to top the remaining cake layer.

No comments: