Home Quilts Recipes Words Books Email

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Encounter..

As part of the Booksneeze blogging program, I receive
books of my choosing from their list of availiable titles.. Upon reading the choice I make, I write a review, that can be positive, or negative, as long as it is my honest review of each book.

I have just finished reading,
" The Encounter" by author, Stephen Arterburn, the host of New Live Live, a radio/ television program broadcast all over the country.
I have read other books, in passing from this author, and because of gleaning much encouragement from Mr. Arterburn's other books, I thought this one would be something similar, in his style of writing about such an important topic - Adoption.. Though written in the genre of fiction, I was excited to begin reading when it arrived in my mailbox.

Unfortunatly, I was a bit disappointed in the simplicity of the writing style he used. Thinking of such a personal experience, though fiction,to me the writing lacked the authenticity of a CEO of a successful company going to Alaska in order to seek answers to the questions of his adoption. I didn't get the emotional impact of various emotions I think would come up - rage, anger, sadness,or most importantly, the feeling of abandonment, and rejection that friends of mine who have been adopted have told me they have felt in their own lives.

I do see strength in this story however, as the message I got from his journey was the ability to see God, and His forgiveness while also acknowledging there is healing for those whose lives have been challenged as the character Jonathan Rush's had been.

The book was an easy book to read, although by the middle of reading it, it became almost predictable in the outcome .. I felt disappointed in that I could guess without a problem what was going to be the ending, but because I wanted to know how it ended from the author's mindset, I continued on to complete the read.
I especially appreciated the end of the book discussion/ questions for readers to use as possibly a personal study , or even a bible study for those who have walked in adoption journeys. The thoughts of the author shared in the contemplative questions reflected to me his professionalism in his line of work/ ministry - which, to me made his authenticity more credible in this fiction piece..

I would recommend it for a simple read, and a quick read - I don't think it is a powerful read, however - more along the lines of emotional tug of heart for those that might fall into the experience of being adopted.

I received this book from Booksneeze.com,as part of their blogging for books program. I gave my honest review as encouraged, neither having to be positive or negative..

No comments: