Home Quilts Recipes Words Books Email

Monday, September 19, 2011

Sweet Hour of Prayer.. a journey in Song...

In reviewing for Discovery House Publishers ( thank you Katy Pent) , the CD " Sweet Hour of Prayer" which included devotional readings from Oswald Chambers , author of " My Utmost for His Highest" ,and selections from hymns of old, I was led on a pilgrimage of spiritual lessons from the daily writings, and classical musical pieces of well known hymns such as:

Sweet Hour of Prayer
Take my Life and Let it Be
When Morning Gilds the Skies
and the favorite, I Need Thee Every Hour..and 9 other beloved hymns of the Christian faith.

Narration was quiet, gently flowing readings that led me to thinking about what Oswald Chambers was conveying in his writing. Not one to like "books on tape" for the fact they put me to sleep, I found myself both quieted in spirit, yet fully alive to wanting to be in the presence of God, as each song, complimented the entire CD. From gentle flowing musical selections, to powerful movement of the Holy Spirit in each writing,this CD, and it's contributors ,ministered great peace to my soul, even in the busyness of life.

Each reading selection, taken from the book I currently am using as a daily devotional, was shared with the listening audience, knowing that each one would be quick to listen to, yet powerful enough in it's presentation to remember, and think about the entire day. Because of my own personal time of reading the actual book, listening to the songs in the background just heightened the experience of the morning knowing I was being ministered to in a deeper way.

I will say, in all honesty, it would not be one I would choose to purchase on my own. I found myself day dreaming to the classical ensemble, because I like classical music - and as the premise of the CD was to me, a daily devotion, I found it hard to concentrate on the message of Oswald Chamber's writing.

This would be a very good devotional project for those that are home bound, and who would like music, as well as listening as a " book on tape" would be for their quiet time.

No comments: